Johannesburg Activities if you plan to overnight in JHB before or after your overland tour we can highly recommend the following day tours – Southern Highlights Adventure
• Soweto Tour – South of Johannesburg is Soweto, the world’s most famous township and important monument to Apartheid. A sprawling, self-sufficient home to millions, Soweto grapples with democratic change, but its spirit resonates in a plethora of shebeens. The focus on this tour is more on community projects & sustainable tourism. The Soweto Fair Tour includes: Nelson Mandela & Hector Pietersen Museums, a visit to Handiworx or the Soweto Green plus a view of Baragwaneth Hospital and an informal settlement. Also included is a cycle tour from Phomolong & visit a day care centre (also available without cycling).
• Johannesburg City Tour – The tour includes a panoramic view of the city, a drive within the business district, visit to traditional African shops, the bohemian Hillbrow and Museum Africa in Newton, the cultural district of Johannesburg. Extend to 8 hours & include Constitution Hill, SAB World of Beer & more.
• Soweto & Johannesburg Combo – Combining the Soweto & Johannesburg City tours will give you a great overview of the area.
• Apartheid Museum – The path through the museum leads you on a journey beginning with segregation, the cornerstone of apartheid. It takes you back through the history of the myriad cultures converging during the pre-apartheid era. Through the years of race classification, the 150 acts of apartheid, detentions and the oppression of the nationalist regime. Examine the rise of black consciousness, the armed struggle & finally witness the release of Nelson Mandela after 27 years of imprisonment which finally led to the final negotiations for peace. The Apartheid Museum experience is one of upliftment and liberation both personally & socially and leaves each visitor with a feeling of hope for the future, unburdened by the ills of the past.
• Cradle of Mankind – The tour visits both the Sterkfontein caves, where the oldest hominid fossils (dating back to over 3 million years) in the world were found & Maropeng where you can experience the fascinating, interactive representations of the origin of Earth & all that lives on our unique planet. Interesting to both adults & children alike, this is a must visit on anyone passing through Gauteng’s itinerary!
• Pretoria City Tour – Pretoria generates a multicultural energy from a harmonious blend of traditions, culture and architecture. Pretoria has historic value extending to that of the British Empire and Apartheid. The tour includes the either the Voortrekker Monument or Freedom Square, the Union Buildings, Kruger House, Church Square, Mirramen Hindu Temple and thousands of Jacaranda trees. Extend to 8 hours and include both the Voortrekker Monument & Freedom Square as well as the Transvaal Museum. Lunch in Pretoria
Panorama Route: 5 Day Kruger Classic Safari – South Africa
Panorama Route – Our full day Panorama Route tour covers the best sights. Our 5 day Classic Kruger Safari is a popular choice, providing the right balance between activities and time spent on safari to see an amazing variety of wildlife that the Kruger National Park has to offer. One of Africa’s most famous national parks, there are 147 mammal species found in Kruger, more than any other wildlife reserve in Africa! Of these the Big 5 (lion, leopard, rhino, buffalo and elephant) are of course included. On this safari we include open vehicle drives, a sunset drive and a walk. This safari gives you a complete African wildlife experience. Prepare to be amazed….